So you’re commuting home from work, you have no idea what to make for dinner, and you have little time to come up with something. This, my friends, is a solid option. It takes 5 minutes of prep time, and then you walk away from the kitchen for about a half hour while you change out of your uncomfortable work clothes and get settled.
And then voila! Dinner is ready. It makes itself with hardly any work on your part.
For this recipe, you simply add a cup of dried lentils, 3 cups of water, a can of tomatoes, a can of artichokes, a couple handfuls of olives, a handful of raisins and some spices to a pan. Bring it all up to a boil, and then let it simmer. Walk away, and then come back about a half hour later. For the rice, I follow this method and it comes out perfectly every time.
This is how everything starts out in your skillet:
Some of the liquid boils off, and you’re left with a thick, hearty mixture of flavors. If you want it to be a little bit more liquidy so that it has more of a sauce, just add a little bit more water at the beginning.
This makes a big batch so you can serve your family or pack it as leftovers. If you want to bring it to work throughout the week, just pack it into a few different tupperwares, and heat it in the microwave for a couple of minutes before you’re ready to eat.
And don’t skimp on the raisins! They were one of the best parts, in my opinion. When you let the raisins cook the entire time, they plump up from the heat and water and get extra sweet.
I hope you enjoy this one. It is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made and tastes absolutely delicious. It has a TON of flavor from all of the bold ingredients and did I mention how healthy it is too? Simply lentils, vegetables, some spices, and brown rice. Can’t get any healthier than that! Also, it is totally vegan and gluten free if you’re looking for recipes that fit that bill.
Mediterranean Lentils Over Brown Rice
(makes about 3 entree servings)
- 1 cup dried lentils (I used red, but you can use green or another kind)
- 3 cups water (or more if you like it more saucy)
- 1 can tomatoes (I used peeled, whole tomatoes but you can use diced) and the juice from the can
- 1 can artichokes in water, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 T oregano
- 2 t basil
- 2 t crushed red pepper flakes
For the rice, just make a big batch. Use 1 cup dried brown rice and follow this method.
1. In a large skillet, add all ingredients at once. If using whole tomatoes, break them up a bit with a knife or your hands. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes. You can stir occasionally.
2. Serve over your brown rice.