I hope you are all staying safe and healthy during this unprecedented, crazy time that our world is experiencing. Ryan and I made it back safely to Florida as we road tripped across the country from SF (in case you missed it, we decided to move back East), and have just been getting settled in here.
I know this time is calling on us in so many unique ways. Our mental health is being challenged, our emotions are all over the place, and our physical health feels vulnerable. I am trying my best to provide help and resources on all fronts of how we can care for ourselves during this time. Be sure to check out my Instagram as I am on there most days sharing little tips.
Today, I have a smoothie bowl recipe for you! One that is packed with immune boosting ingredients, plus it’s fun to eat and deliciously refreshing.
This recipe is really flexible – you can leave things out that you don’t have or add in other ingredients that strike your fancy. But it gives you a feel for how to create a mix of components that taste great together and provide you with a balance of nutrients.
You’ll need (remember this is all optional and can be tweaked!):
- 1/2 large banana (fresh or frozen)
- handful of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 T flax seeds (I recommend buying them whole)
- 1 T nut butter of choice
- 1/3 avocado
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (I use Vital Proteins)
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 cup water
Add everything to a high-speed blender (Vitamix is my favorite). To get it on the thicker side if you want to eat it in bowl form (fun!), use more ice and less water. If you want it more like a smoothie, use a bit more water.
And because I do want to help you understand WHY these ingredients are beneficial, I geeked out on a little nutrition and put together some health benefits for you:
- Chia seeds and Flax seeds are filled with omega-3 fats which help keep inflammation down in the body, allowing the immune system to work properly.
- Pumpkin seeds are very high in zinc which is one of the most important nutrients for your immune system! It increases the efficacy of your defense cells fighting off infection.
- Spinach, blueberries and banana are full of phytonutrients (nutrients coming from plants that serve as antioxidants in the body), Vitamin C, Iron, Folate, Calcium, and Potassium.
- Avocado is packed with fiber and also contains glutathione which is thought to stimulate the immune system (source: Parsley Health).
- Collagen peptides contain amino acids that keep your gut strong, and since 70% of your immune system is in your gut, gut health is key!
- Hemp Seeds are an excellent plant source of protein, Vitamin E and omega-3s. Vitamin E is thought to enhance the immune response and protect against some infectious diseases.
Let me know what you think and if you give it a try!
And hang in there my love… we are going to get through this together.
Lots of love,