Every week or two I like to prepare a big batch of some sort of protein. That way, when I want to quickly throw a lunch or dinner together, I have various options to choose from in my freezer.
Knowing that I had a busy week ahead of me but that I wanted to eat pretty healthy, I created a batch of these extremely tasty chicken burgers a couple of weeks ago.
These things are SO simple, yet SO flavorful. Here we go…
You want to start with about a pound of ground chicken, an apple (I only used one in the end), some dijon mustard, feta, and an onion (unpictured, sorry!).
So you want to take your onion, slice it all up, and sauté it in a skillet with a bit of olive oil until it’s soft. Onions add SO much great flavor to any kind of homemade burger that you want to make. Season it with some S&P and that’s it.
Then, add the onion, feta, and chopped up apple to your ground chicken. On top, add in about a tablespoon of dijon mustard, S&P, and you’re DONE. How easy was that?
Get in there with your hands, mush everything together, and then form little patties. Sauté in the same skillet you used for your onions, and leave them for about 5-8 minutes per side, flipping once.
This recipe makes about 5-8 burgers, deepending on the size. I usually keep a few in my fridge and then individually wrap the rest in foil and store in my freezer. Whenever I want to use one, I just take it out of the freezer and either let it defrost for a few hours or simply microwave it for a few minutes until it’s warm.
These are great to add to salads, break up and add to a stir fry, or of course turn into a full out burger. The apple makes them a little bit sweet, the feta adds some fat to make them extremely satisfying, and the dijon and onion make them really flavorful. These will not disappoint, I promise!
Apple & Feta Chicken Burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken (I got a package of boneless, skinless chicken breast and ground it myself in the food processor but you can just buy a package of ground chicken)
- 1 apple, chopped finely (any kind, I used granny smith)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup good feta
- 1 T dijon mustard
1. Saute onion in a skillet with a little olive oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine cooked onion, ground chicken, apple, feta, mustard and S&P. Mix all together.
3. Form patties with hands and add the patties to a slightly oiled hot skillet. Cook for 5-8 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through and is white and no longer pink.